Summer Work Resources
Writing Prompts :) Feel free to use any of these prompts. Students can also write about different topics that are not included in these prompts.
1) Write about a person you admire. What qualities do you have in common with this person?
2) Identify one thing you are looking forward to this week, and explain why it makes you feel excited.
3) Discuss one thing that happened today that made you happy.
4) Describe a situation in which you helped someone else. What did you do? How did it make them feel? How did it make you feel?
5) Make an “Alhamdullilah List” of ten things you feel grateful to Allah(swt) for today.
6) Describe a time you did something that made you scared. How did you get through it? How did you feel afterward?
7) Imagine your parents say you are having a “Yes Day”- a day when they will say yes to anything you ask. What would you ask for? Tell a story about your imaginary “Yes Day” from beginning to end.
8) Find a spot to write outside- on your balcony, in your backyard, on your front porch or in the park. Set a timer for 5 minutes and write about all of the sounds you hear in those 5 minutes.
9) Write a letter to the author of a book you recently read and tell them what you liked most about the book.
10) Make a list of questions to ask your parents, grandparents, or other older family members about what it was like when they were growing up. Then ask them the questions and write about the answers.
11) Ask someone in your family to teach you something new (for example, a game, a recipe, a craft).
12) Write a “How to” writing piece describing the materials needed and steps you followed to do this new activity.
13) Write about a dream you had recently. What happened in the dream? What do you think it means?
14) Think of a time you laughed really, really hard. What was so funny? Why were you laughing? Write about it!
15) Start a “joke/riddle collection” in your journal. Write down any (appropriate!) jokes/riddles you know. Ask your friends and family members to share jokes/riddles with you and add them to your collection (even if they are in a language other than English...if they are not in English, have someone help you translate them). See if you can come up with your own jokes and riddles.
16) Write about a time you felt sorry about something you said or did. Describe what happened. Write a du’a asking for Allah (swt)’s forgiveness, and a note to anyone who may have been harmed by your words/actions asking for their forgiveness.
17) What is your first memory? Describe it.
18) Make a T-Chart of things you can control versus things you can’t control.
19) After reading a book or short story, create a newspaper article describing the aspects of the book.
20) After reading a book or short story, rewrite a scene as comic book panels.
Multi-Digit Multiplication: 1 or 2 digit x 1 digit
More Parent Support Strategies
Masha'Allah we are so grateful for the high level of dedication all of you have to your child's education. Many parents often ask how they can help support their children at home beyond working with them on home study assignments. The NWEA Strategy Packet for Parents and Students has some great ideas on how parents can work with their kids to build skills in reading, writing, and mathematics.
Parents, CLICK HERE for resources and a Common Core toolkit for supporting your children in Mathematics and English Language Arts.
Parents, you may also CLICK HERE or HERE for tips to increase your child's focus.
Please also CLICK HERE for an informative article which cites research on how too much screen time may damage the still developing brain.
Masha'Allah we are so grateful for the high level of dedication all of you have to your child's holistic growth.
Click below for wonderful web-based resource for families who have children with learning and attention difficulties. We strongly encourage you to thoroughly browse the site.
As your child's partner in education, the more we all know and understand about how to best help our children learn, the stronger our partnership and the more successful the outcome, by Allah's mercy, of our combined efforts.
Click below to read about the assessment procedures at CAI.